Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My First REAL Argentine Night Out

OK so last night was my first night out of the house with people from my program. My friend Alana and I had made plans to walk down to Aristides which is kind of the arts young person part of downtown Mendoza, the group had decided to meet at 11:30 pm which is apparently normal here, but it is kinda late on my time.

So we were supposed to meet our friends at a hostel/bar called PH which is in the middle of Aristides, Alana and I must have walked past it at least four or five times at one point we ended up in a really sketchy part of town and were just about ready to give up when one of our friends calls out over a balcony at us to come up. We were literally standing right under the place and went up to meet what looked like a massive group of people. The waiter looked at us and instantly knew we were American, I might have just about cried, he was clearly having a hard time with the ridiculous amount of people showing up on a Monday night.

So I sat down and Alana and I ordered a bottle of Malbec to share. I had no intention of getting too tipsy but because it was my first night out in a new city I didn't really have any idea of what to expect. So the whole group just sat around and had a good time for most of the evening we played a bunch of different ice breaker games to get to know each other more; including the game "never have I ever" which for those of you who don't know is a great game to help reveal more than you would want to know about most of your peers.

Before I knew it, it was 4:30 am and time had literally flown by, it was such a fun night and there were still so many people left at the bar when we left it is crazy how late people stay out here. On the way home I shared a taxi with some of the guys and they covered my ride, which was perfectly lovely and chivalrous of them. If only I didn't have to get up the next morning for a 9:00 am orientation meeting.

2 comments:

  1. A most lively entertaining account -- all of them, actually. You will find yourself thinking in Spanish before you know it. The family sounds warm, entertaining and a very safe group to be with. So great that you could sing for them. That was funny when you laughed during the movie because you 'got it'. I did hear that there was quite a snowstorm down your way and many accidents in the Big City because they are not used to driving in the snow. We expect another swell HOT week here.
    :(!! Love you!
    Gran T

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, exciting adventure you are embarking on and experiencing!! This is my second attempt at writing you ... I did it last week some time, and just typed and typed (just like now) and when I got pretty close to the bottom, I saw a little "box" that said "300 character maximum". Mind you, not word, but character! I was going crazy, cutting and cutting until I laughed because I had so little I was able to actually say. Grandpa and I look forward to reading your blog and following you "thither and yon." More later. Love, Gr'ma and Gr'pa.

    ReplyDelete