Sunday, September 26, 2010

PIERCINGS AND PARAPENTEEEE

Since Emily and I decided to stay in Mendoza during our extended break and do crazy ridiculous things here we have decided that some of the activities would include; going to a modern contemporary fashion show, getting a random piercing(s), going hang gliding, and doing a bike and wine tour.

So the fashion show was all swell and spectacular as expected, it had some really great pieces including cut out shirts made entirely out of  colored leather and some other super crazy dresses that looked more like pieces of art than something wearable.

Directly following the show Em and I went to the tattoo shop, we decided it seemed more trustworthy than the small kiosks in the galeria, and thank god we did. The shop was great very clean and sterile feeling but of course not perfect, because this is after all Argentina, and we were greeted excitedly by the owner of the shop the minute we walked in the door. Emily only wanted to get one piercing, and I wanted to get two. This decision was rationalized by my insane discomfort with even numbers, if I were to only get one piercing I would have 10 in total and that just would not do, so with 11 in total not only would I have my lucky number but I could feel at ease and balanced. *** Side note these are all on my ears so random family members cease worrying I have no semi-permanent decorations added to my face.

Emily went first because she was a brave soul, I started getting nervous at the idea of needles in my head which has never stirred nerves in me other than adrenaline but we proceeded anyways. I won't go into details about the process but other than it hurt like hell and there will be no more for me ever, so no more worried looks and threats of financial independence from my family.

Once that day was complete the next thing on our list was hang gliding, in Argentina it is called Parapente, which I actually like better it just has a more exciting ring to it. The day before we went to the tourism center which oddly only had one pamphlet on parapente, which I thought was odd and the only help they could offer was to call the number and they would give more information. So we called the number and apparently "they don't do that thing" as they had bluntly stated on the phone in spanish. So Emily and I looked up some other places online and we found a company that could pick us up from our houses and drive us to the top of the Andes mountains all for A$300 which was a great price, and under a hundred U.S. dollars.

As promised they picked us up at the crack of dawn hour of 830 a.m. which on my sleep schedule is completely unheard of, so needless to say I was a tad drowsy. We go and pick up Megan and her boyfriend Thomas from their hotel because they wanted to join in on the fun, and then we were off to the desert mountains. When we got there the guys set up a fold out table with some coffee and mate for us to drink, since I didn't eat preparing as I would for a roller coaster I passed on both knowing it would probably make my stomach hurt. So we sat their anxiously awaiting as Megan was the first to go up, we were able to see her from the ground as only a slight yellow speck in the sky. After Emily, it was my turn, and the nervous adrenaline like energy was starting to build up. I hopped into the jeep and up we went. Looking back on the experience probably the most terrifying part of it all was the ride up the mountain on the narrow, bumpy, dirt road- which was hardly wide enough for the car let alone passing the school children on their hike or the other car coming from the opposite direction, truly horrifying.

However, we made it to the top safely and without any casualties, and it was absolutely beautiful. I truly have never seen something so lovely. You could see the snow capped mountains out in the distance and the entire city. I can't remember how high up we were but Megan said something about 700 km, not that that makes any difference to me.


My flying partner started putting me equipment on and asked if I wanted my instructions in Spanish, or English...seeing as how I would be jumping off a cliff I asked for them in English. He then proceeded to give me the instructions, he said we will wait until I can find the direction of the wind, and if I say left go left, right, go right, and when I say start walking you will walk, and when I say run, you will run as fast as you can run and don't stop running even when there is nothing left to run on. I think my face dropped a little because he gave a little chuckle, and his consoling words of "don't worry, I'm a professional" did little to appease my nerves. We waited atop the mountain for a good 15 minutes or so trying to find the wind, and I asked him what would happen if he couldn't find it, he smiled and said, "with no wind you won't fly for very long..." So....awesome! Great news! Eventually, we found the wind and I started walking and he shouted run and I ran as fast as I could and then we were off the mountain with nothing under my feet except for the distant view of the city and the mountains and the desert. It was stunning, truly.

When we got back down to the ground I felt a little nauseous but my partner said that was normal, and that next I was going to be really hungry and super tired. The rest of the day pretty much fulfilled that prediction. It still feels so surreal, as if it didn't really happen, but it was just such an incredible experience, I would love to do it again.

 I think now I might be ready for skydiving....

No comments:

Post a Comment